- Yield: 2
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 429 PER SERVING
Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- whole wheat elbow macaroni - 8 ounces
- multigrain bread - 3 slices
- unsalted butter - 3 tbs
- onion - 1, finely chopped, about 1 cup
- 1% milk - 1 cups
- whole wheat flour - 1.5 tbs
- dried mustard - 1/2 tsp
- garlic - 4 cloves minced
- sea salt - 1/4 tsp
- shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese - 1 1/2 cups
- reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese - 1 cup shredded
- romano cheese - 1/4 cup grated
- cherry tomatoes - 1 cup quartered
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 11" x 7" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Once boiled, add sea salt. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions; drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking, then drain again. Return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, place the bread into the bowl of a food processor and pulse into bread crumbs.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the milk, flour, mustard, and salt. Pour into the saucepan and cook, whisking, until the mixture begins to thicken, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the mozzarella, cheddar, and romano and cook until melted, about 2 minutes. Pour over the macaroni, add the tomatoes, and mix well to coat. Immediately pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until they're coated with the butter, about 1 minute. Sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and the top is golden, about 20 to 22 minutes.