- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Butternut Squash Soup
A warm, hearty and delicious soup for those blustery Fall and Winter days. Very thick… great to dip a warmed bun into as well.
- butter - 2 tbs
- onion - 1 small, chopped
- celery - 1 stalk, chopped
- carrot - 1 medium, chopped
- potatoes - 2 medium, cubed
- butternut squash - 1 medium, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- garlic - 1 tsp, minced
- Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum - 1/4 cp
- chicken stock - 4 cps (see instructions, step 4)
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- nutmeg - dash
- sea salt & cracked black pepper
- Prep the squash: pierce the skin with a fork and bake whole in the oven on 375 for one hour; slice lengthwise and scoop out the seeds; skin will peel off easily
- Melt the butter in a large pot, and cook the onion, celery, carrot, potatoes for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned; add in the roasted squash and blend
Add in rum and cook for 1 minute
- Pour in ONLY enough of the chicken stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender
- Transfer the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return to pot, and mix in any remaining stock to attain desired consistency.
- Season with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.