- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 268 PER SERVING (based on 4 servings)
- potatoes - 4 large (steamed)
- butter - 1 tbs
- onion - 1 finely chopped (split into two portions)
- cheddar cheese - 3/4 cup shredded (split into two portions)
- sea salt & cracked black pepper
- carrots - 5, chopped, cooked
- frozen peas - 1 cup
- olive oil - 1 tbs
- lean ground bison or beef - 1 pound
- whole wheat flour - 2 tbs
- ketchup - 1 tbs
- low sodium beef broth - 3/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Steam and mash potatoes; mix in butter, 1/2 of the onion, and 1/2of the shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Cook chopped carrots (about 15 minutes); drain, mash and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add remainder of onion and cook until clear. Add ground beef and cook until well browned. Pour off excess fat (should not be any juices with bison), then stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Add frozen peas, ketchup and beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread the ground beef mixture in an even layer on the bottom of a casserole dish. Next, spread a layer of mashed carrots. Top with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.