- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch
Oh glorious time of year when my besties bring me rhubarb from their wonderful gardens!
If you've browsed the site, you'll know already that few things get me as excited as rhubarb (I can't make this up!).
I had a mad craving (the kind where you can think of not a single damn other thing to eat in the whole world except...) the minute I was blessed with a few stalks and after a quick jar of jam (naturally), this rhubarb crisp was the next pick!
Of course, I had to portion it into small containers and freeze so that I didn't eat them all at once (which I would have - trust me!).
Now, unlike the last set of awesomely healthy rhubarb recipe, this is a comfort food. Without question. Good ol' fashioned sugary goodness, topped with melty vanilla ice cream. Go ahead... live a little!
You won't regret it, I promise!
This recipe was made exactly as the original poster on barefeetinthekitchen.com - no sense changing something that tastes this good!
- Fruit Filling Ingredients
- strawberries - 2 cp, chopped
- rhubarb - 2 cp, thinly sliced
- organic sugar - 1 cp
- cinnamon - 1 tsp
- cornstarch - 1 tbs
- sea salt - 1/2 tsp
- orange juice - 1/4 cp
- Crust Ingredients
- all-purpose flour - 2 cp
- oats - 1.5 cp
- light brown sugar - 1 cp
- butter - 1 cp, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Place the fruit in a mixing bowl and add sugar, cinnamon, salt and cornstarch, mixing well. Then add orange juice and stir.
- Ina separate mixing bowl, combine all crust ingredients, mixing together.
- Press half of the mix into a prepared pan (9x13", or individual dishes as shown above)
- Top with fruit, and the add the remaining crust mixture
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the crust turns golden brown and the juices start to bubble
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool (remember, cooling will help the juices to be absorbed by the oats). Top with ice cream and enjoy!