- Yield: 24 large
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
Giant Monster Cookies
This recipe was amazing! I can't take all the credit - the original came from sallysbakingaddiction.com, and with just a few minor modifications, they were better than I ever imagined!
So first, let me start by quoting Sally herself, in saying that these are more of a peanut butter cookie with oats, rather than an oatmeal cookie with peanut butter. When I read that line, I knew this would be the recipe to try (being a lover of peanut butter cookies myself). Also, she boasted how soft these were (and how soft they remained) - and since I'm a soft cookie connoisseur, well then... she had me at hello...
A couple of quick tips she shared (and one or two of my own) before you get started:
- Use quick oats, rather than cooking oats. Also, grind them into an oat flour. I do this in my chocolate chip cookies as well, and it acts as a great binder.
- Make sure your butter AND eggs are at room temperature. Room temperature eggs will blend into the batter better, making a lighter, fluffier end result.
- Just before adding your baking soda, dissolve it in an equal amount of very warm water. This activates the baking soda and disperses it more evenly throughout the batter.
- These cookies do not spread as they bake, so when you roll them into balls, flatten them with your hands a bit.
- After you take them out of the oven, they won't be completely ready. Pressing the back of a spoon gently over the tops will create the peanut-butter-cookie-crinkle effect, and then let them finish baking on the trays.
- For the M&M mixture, I used Regular M&Ms, Peanut Butter M&Ms, Mini M&Ms, and mini chocolate chips. Throw them all together and voila!
- salted butter - 1 cp, room temperature
- brown sugar - 1 cp, packed
- organic sugar - 1/2 cp
- creamy peanut butter - 1.5 cp
- eggs - 2, room temperature
- pure vanilla extract - 2 tsp
- baking soda - 1 tsp + 1 tsp warm water
- all purpose flour - 2.5 cp, level
- quick oats - 1 cp, ground to flour
- M&M/Mini-chocolate Chips - 2.5 cp, blended (see description above)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add in peanut butter, egg and vanilla (in that order).
- Slowly add in dissolved baking soda and flour. Do not over mix.
- Fold in round quick oats and M&M/Mini-Chocolate Chips.
- Divide dough into 24 pieces, roll into balls and slightly flatten with your hands before spacing evening over cookie sheet (bake in batches of 8 cookies per sheet).
- Press additional mini-M&Ms into the tops of the cookies and bake 9 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently press the tops with the back of a spoon. Leave them to finish cooking on the baking sheets. When completely cooled, remove from the baking sheets and enjoy!